Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:56 am

I feel this might have been covered before but I can't find a good discussion that says more then it just has to be numeric. I feel this inhibits good quality store updates. All my mpn and models are different so it would be nice to be able to do an import of updates using either the mpn or model versus having to go through and hand update all the product prices.
My feed from my wholesalers are already in excel and contain a simple format of:
mpn model price

This would make updating prices so fast if there was a way to import this excel spreadsheet and use the mpn or model and simply update the price.

Did I miss a discussion on how this could be done or is there a mod or extension that can be used to do this?

Thank you,

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:01 am

Nowhere in the history of a database system is an alphanumeric id used. id's are always numeric because the database has an "autoincrement" setting for the id field to ensure it is always unique. The product ID should not be something you are even concerning yourself with as that is for backend purposes only. Sku, mpn, model, etc are all their own fields and can be Alphanumeric already so I think you are using the wrong field to filter your updates on

Administrator

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

Qphoria wrote:The product ID should not be something you are even concerning yourself with as that is for backend purposes only.
Sku, mpn, model, etc are all their own fields and can be Alphanumeric already so I think you are using the wrong field to filter your updates on
So we are communicating accurately.. (I sometime feel I type differently then I what I exactly mean).

The product_id is used to identify the product record in the database.
So if I want to update a product price in bulk I have to find the model or mpn and then use the product_id to make the database update.
Otherwise if I have a file that has
mpn model price
Abc1 Abc1 $20.99
zbzc1 zbzc1 $45.99
etc

...if I can find a comtrib that bulk updates prices that goes by the mpn or model then all I would need to do is use that contrib and the provided excel spreadsheet and voilà price updates complete.

Or go into the admin, products and change the prices on all 100 items by hand.

Is there a contrib that does bulk updates based on the mpn or model, or are there only contribs that go by product_id (requiring matching mpn or model to the product_id by hand)?

Thanks for the reply and I look forward to moving forward with OpenCart and away from another cart that has been stagnant for too long but served me well until it got too out of date!
(BTW the old cart took me weeks to fix problems while OpenCart I was able to set up in a basic config in 3 hours (just need to get paypal payflow pro working and I will be live - so far I'm pretty impressed).

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member