Post by BruceTag » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:53 pm

A start-up venture is looking to establish an ongoing relationship with an experienced OpenCart Facilities Coder/Developer for custom OpenCart compatible facilities. Any successes enjoyed by this venture will also be enjoyed by the chosen Coder/Developer, with financial rewards growing in line with the success of the website, including company performance bonuses and perks, eventually leading to a well paid full retainer.

If you would like to be considered for the role of exclusive OpenCart Facilities Coder/Developer, you will be asked to undertake two specific developments, which will allow the venture backers the opportunity to see first-hand how well you can provide results.

The best version of the custom facilities, undertaken in the fastest time, will secure the role. There will be a token fee paid to the successfully chosen tender upon completion of both successfully tested and fully operational facilities.

If this is of interest to you, please contact me directly and I will pass your details on to the relevant person.

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:08 pm

So basically you're offering to underpay someone to do a large project, potentially paying them if your site is a success? I never get tired of seeing the rewording of these

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by OSWorX » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:17 pm

JAY6390 wrote:So basically you're offering to underpay someone to do a large project, potentially paying them if your site is a success? I never get tired of seeing the rewording of these
And why not??
Developing some and selling that to a high price is one.
Participating on the success where you play a role is another story - and more trustworthy.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 pm

BruceTag wrote:If you would like to be considered for the role of exclusive OpenCart Facilities Coder/Developer, you will be asked to undertake two specific developments, which will allow the venture backers the opportunity to see first-hand how well you can provide results.
Here's what you need to do:

1. Find a sponsor/investor to pay for the project.
2. Pay a developer to work on the project.

Developers are not project sponsors or investors.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 pm

OSWorX wrote:
JAY6390 wrote:So basically you're offering to underpay someone to do a large project, potentially paying them if your site is a success? I never get tired of seeing the rewording of these
And why not??
Developing some and selling that to a high price is one.
Participating on the success where you play a role is another story - and more trustworthy.
Because most of these "big ideas" amount to nothing and cost developers more than the "investor" - that's why not. If you want to risk your time on a project that you may not make any money out of, when you could be doing work that will pay you that's up to you. Personally, I don't see the point. Like Paul has said - any project worth doing will have the necessary capital to do so

Guru Member

Post by BruceTag » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 pm

So basically you're offering to underpay someone to do a large project, potentially paying them if your site is a success?
This is not the case. The chosen coder/developer, whom can prove themselves initially, will not be underpaid to do a large project as you incorrectly suggest. The coder/developer will be paid fairly for any required tweaks and custom extensions on the website, as and when required, and as the business grows, they will see their payments grow to match such success, as they will be regarded and treated as an important core part of the business, and will be rewarded accordingly.

I hope this clarifies the opportunity.

Post by opencartromania » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:21 am

Hi Sir!

I' see the same way of running your business and collaboration each other.

We've done the same way (long term contracts) with same of our customers and both sides are happy :)

Wish you finding the right collaboration team.

Regards!

Post by ostechnologies » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:03 am

Posted on your PM.

Regards,
MM

Opencart Expert | sales[at]ost.agency
Skype - manish.osuniverse | Gtalk - manishmt

Extensions for Opencart @ https://www.ost.agency/product/product- ... extensions
ost.agency - ecommerce website design, development and digital company

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:30 pm

BruceTag wrote:I hope this clarifies the opportunity.
Excuse mine and Jay's scepticism, it's just having been in this industry a while, we've seen a lot of "opportunities" like this and most turn out to be pretty unrewarding for the developer. Although I'm not saying that's the case here.

If we were to apply for something like this we just don't have the time to do a potentially unpaid test project. You can see our extensions, you can see our portfolio, you can talk to our clients and references, that should be enough.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by BruceTag » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Paul and Jay (and to all others interested),

I completely understand both of your scepticism, and indeed it is a good form of self-preservation. This project will seek to work exclusively with a coder/developer with the intention of building a long-term relationship with that individual. To find the right person however, there is a challenge placed, in the form of two specific extensions, and the first person to successfully complete this challenge will gain a token payment for their time, and then afterwards negotiated agreements will be signed and all future work will become theirs with a fair payment structure secured. Ultimately, the company will hope to provide a well-paid retainer to the coder/developer after a successful working partnership has been proven.

To avoid having multiple people potentially undertake this challenge at the same time, which could result in multiple developers successfully completing the challenge with no token payment (which would be completely unfair), only one person is given the opportunity at a time, on a first respondent basis (which is why some responders may be waiting for a response - and their patience is appreciated). Basically, the opportunity will be given to each person in the order they responded to the opportunity until the challenge is completed successfully, showing the capability of the coder/developer for all future development work.

Surely, you can't get any fairer than that?

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Surely the fairest way would be to simply pay a developer for the work - giving them a deposit up front for their time if its a big job and the full payment on completion. Obviously if the developer isn't competent then you'd get a refund - or should from those of us who are professionals. "Token payment" to me sounds like you're offering a small amount of money for a task that would normally cost more. If that is the case, I'm really not sure how you consider underpayment fair.

I'm not sure how others work in their payments, but if it's someone I've not worked with before, there's no way I'd even ftp into a server without full payment up front for under $100 works, or a deposit for larger works. There are too many people that try and screw developers over unfortunately - I've heard so many horror stories.

Sure there are developers that screw over people customers as well, which is why you should be asking people for references of work, or checking out their extensions on the extension store and seeing all of the feedback from customers there. For instance, a developer with no successful extensions on the extension store who claims to be experienced to me would raise alarm bells as it generally means they've not really done much in the way of opencart work at all. Likewise, a developer with extensions with poor ratings, few sales or comments that don't get answered are likely going to be ones you want to avoid. This whole 'challenge' method to me is just a bit of a farce

Guru Member

Post by BruceTag » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi Jay,

This challenge was based on a tendering process, whereby in many industries such opportunities require those pursuing the tender to prove their work, usually at their own expense, however in this instance a token payment is being made to the coder/developer whom undertakes and completes the challenge to show they can provide a specific brief, with the intention that all planned development work will come their way, and to protect this, contractual agreements will be set in place to protect the coder/developer.

I do get where you are coming from in your comments Jay, but this process arose due to promises made by a number of web developers, paid fully in advance, providing either unsuccessful substandard results from the brief given, or in a few cases, took the money and were never heard of again, with no refunds either offered or successfully retrieved, so the risks of arbitrarily paying people in this manner did not outweigh the benefits, and was deemed too costly to continue with very little by way of positive results, hence the challenge was established within the OpenCart development community itself, with the intention to find the most serious coders/developers willing to put a little of their own time on the line to secure the opportunity.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Post by JAY6390 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:04 am

Yeah, as I said, I know developers are just as able to screw you over that way. I've been the victim as both developer and customer in the past and it's never nice in either situation. Being the pessimist I am, people pursuing a tender on a small job like this suggests they're more desperate for work. If that's the case, there's usually a reason behind that and it is rarely good.

Anyway, good luck with the project. Hopefully you find yourself a good developer and have a great working relationship with them 8)

Guru Member

Post by BruceTag » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Thank you for the comments Jay, although I don't recall where it stated this was a 'small job'. In fact, the prospect is quite the contrary, but I thank you for your feedback.