Post by moc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Any one know of an extension to make opencart store newsletter subscription, automatically subscribe to my phplist that exists under a different domain.
oc v 2.1
journal 2.15
but will upgrade if I needed to get this functionality
Thanks

moc

Post by thekrotek » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 pm

If you simply need a subscription module, then just search the Marketplace. Even some themes have such module in their package.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by moc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks.
Yes my opencart customers can subscribe to my opencart newsletter, but that is not what I am trying to achieve:
I have existing ( and comprehensive) lists hosted on another of my domains using phplist.
What I would like to do is subscribe my opencart customers to these existing lists.
That is when opencart customer registers and selects "subscribe to newsletter" they are subscribed to a list hosted/managed on my phplist server, and not just the opencart mailing list

moc

Post by thekrotek » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:21 pm

In this case you have to create a custom code. If you have enough skills, you can do it yourself. Otherwise request a commercial support. Nobody will code for free.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by johnp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:12 am

I looked into this. It would be handy to get OC and Phplist integrated. A basic integration would be easy enough but idealy you need full integration as with the Mailchimp Pro extension to make it really useable. At the time I looked PhpList didn't support API which limited the level of integration. Unless that has changed it's not really worth spending time on IMO. Perasonally I would export my contacts to Mailchimp and get the Mailchimp Pro extension.
Last edited by johnp on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by moc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:06 am

Thanks Guys,
As a small business, the main advantage of phplist over mailchimp is cost ( and I love supporting opensource)
For my 3000 email sends per month I am saving 50USD per month
and for people with bigger sends phplist is obviously still free but mailchimp can be as much as US$259 /mnth
Some nice additional functions with mailchimp, but I guess that is that is the decision to be made.
phplist 3.4.0 does include REST API so there are more possibilities for developers.

For my own use I wouldn't need full integration just a simple:
customer selecting YES to opencart newsletter, gets added to phplist subscribers:
Add [firstname] [surname] [email] to one of 6 lists based on zipcode
If anyone wanted to give a rough quote for coding this don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Thanks

moc

Post by johnp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 am

"For my own use I wouldn't need full integration just a simple:
customer selecting YES to opencart newsletter, gets added to phplist subscribers:"

That's quite a bit of work. Ideally you need every instance of the newsletter subscribe/unsubscribe process synced with Phplist so at every stage the two systems talk to each other. Plus there's the issue of GDPR compliance. For me Phplist just isn't advanced enough yet. It's brilliant at what it does but it is limited.

My ideal setup would be OC pluc Mautic self hosted. That does support API but getting an extension written like the Mailchimp Pro one was going to cost me over £800. OC integrated with Mautic would be a marketer's dream.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by johnp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:04 am

Another suggestion. Ask the guy who wrote this extension if he can upgrade it to OC2:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... t%20bridge

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by johnp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm currently talking to a coder friend of mine about getting a basic OC extension written. Initially I'm looking to have just the customer's first name, last name and email address exported to PhpList. They'll be a manual sync needed befiore each time a mailout is done from PhpList but it's a start. This will be built and tested on OC 1.5.6.5. If anyone is interested please feel free to input your ideas. Thanks. :)

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by moc » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:54 pm

Yes, definitely interested,but with phplist inevitably hosting a number of lists, an option from within OpenCart to select the specific lists for subscription ( default to all?) would be a valuable inclusion.

moc

Post by johnp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm

The brief to the coder includes that. There's a free Newsman extension in the marketplace. I'm looking at having something similar. Once the extension connects it will give you the option of which PhpList to export to. There will be the option of having a guest newsletter subscribe moduleon the site. The extension will check both tables and ignore duplicates if they exist when exporting. Again, it will be very basic but hopefully useful.

Location - Surrey, UK