Post by head_dunce » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:52 am

Ok, so I get it now. The Journal theme, which is so popular, doesn't even feed the guys who make it possible since it's not even sold on the marketplace here. That's a problem. Why is that?

Jim
https://www.carguygarage.com
Yahoo Store since 2006 moved to OpenCart on January 24, 2020

Post by kestas » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Journal theme very popular, but problem that dev's of journal do not bother to pay attention to OC community. I mean theme ruined all OC framework. And they, dev's of journal, just make money without investing to OC future. From another hand OC community should, or must solve all the problems, which are caused by this journal theme.
Users of journal theme do not understand that at all. They just think, that journal is very good and impressive theme and just buying it. Users do not understand what is hidden under the impressive looking theme. This is nothing personal... People just make a money. ;)

Custom OpenCart modules and solutions. You can write PM with additional questions... Extensions you can find here

Post by head_dunce » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm

But why isn't it sold on the marketplace here? Must be a reason -- probably money.

I wish the base code just did what Journal does. If Journal doesn't want to help fund the base coders, seems logical to just take their idea away from them since it's very popular.

Jim
https://www.carguygarage.com
Yahoo Store since 2006 moved to OpenCart on January 24, 2020

Post by OpenCustomer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:42 pm

sooty wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm
We are not all coding Gods, some of us are mere mortals just trying to scratch a living from an ever more difficult environment.
Well said :))

Post by thekrotek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 pm

head_dunce wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm
But why isn't it sold on the marketplace here? Must be a reason -- probably money.
Journal is sold on Envato only. Envato has 2 plans: common license and exclusive rights. The latter means, that seller can't sell his stuff anywhere else. This is why Journal isn't sold on OpenCart Marketplace.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:49 pm

@thekrotek: So what license do Envato sellers use for illegally copied software, like our Export/Import tool? :D We asked them several times to remove it, because we are the author, not them, and it is licensed under the GPLv3 terms. This is just one example out of many, I wouldn't trust the Envato Market! If Journal was that great then why don't they use proper marketing channels?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by thekrotek » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:49 pm
@thekrotek: So what license do Envato sellers use for illegally copied software, like our Export/Import tool? :D We asked them several times to remove it, because we are the author, not them, and it is licensed under the GPLv3 terms. This is just one example out of many, I wouldn't trust the Envato Market! If Journal was that great then why don't they use proper marketing channels?
I agree with you regarding Envato. This is probably the worst software marketplace of them all and I don't understand why people even bother selling their stuff out there. If they don't bother removing illegally copied software, it makes Envato even worse. But question was why Journal isn't available anywhere and I explained it briefly.

Expert Member

Post by nitin7bb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:00 pm

If the developers can't provide better support to new the new users, perhaps the community should take the responsibility of helping where they could. ???

Post by thekrotek » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:06 am

nitin7bb wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:00 pm
If the developers can't provide better support to new the new users, perhaps the community should take the responsibility of helping where they could. ???
And community DOES help by giving everyone the best recommendation they can get: never install Journal and live happily ever after.

Expert Member

Post by goalsurfer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm
...purely CSS...
The theme should be in an apart map. Qphoria said that also I think. Please, where is he? Did he get depression from designers that messed with the original code? You would conclude that you can best use the default theme. Everything else gives a worse impression of usability or else you can't use common functions as popular products, latest, and so on because adapting the design is too complicated. But this is about cheaper themes you can buy in the Opencart market place.

I'm very disappointed to hear that even Journal is just trash. Now I don't buy it. I thought already that I did a mistake with buying those cheaper designs but it doesn't matter anymore after have read this threat. Thanks for posting everybody.

Post by brettpix » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 am

I am now stuck with Journal three after it was pushed onto me by Isense Lab.

It has been a nightmare to use and caused untold problems. I only wish I could get out of it.

Shame I did not hear about the negative until it was too late.

Thanks for your directness on this.

Brett

Post by timstudio » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Stuck with it? Why. Just buy another theme. I you can't afford a second theme there is something else to worry about.

ps, it might be a bad coded theme regarding some standards etc, but i'm using it since 2015. Not for a hobby shop but for a shop that is my income. And yeah, I ran in some problems but most of them had nothing to do with the theme. For the extensions I use, I made sure they worked with journal. And for my kind of business I needed the versatality this theme provides. It's a hard job to master but once you do the advantages outrank the disadvantages. At least in my case.

So I get what some are telling about the theme. But I do not get why some are panicing ' o no, I bought the theme...what now?' Well, if the theme is used by thousands of professional shop why couldn't or shouldn't it run yours? Because it is bad coded? That might be, but it runs error free for years in my case with about 800 visitors a day.

I also get the point that this forum isn't the place people should be generally asking for support.I get that people who dislike this theme refuse to answer. But I don't get why journal users shouldn't help other journal users on this forum. This is the opencart forum, and as far as I know journal runs on opencart. So why just ban journal? A lot of journal users (like me) buy (a lot) of extensions from this site and spread the word on how great opencart is.

I have looked at some of the theme's that are considered to be ok by the hardcore users. Well, I and i guess many just find those themes to limited. My business is heavily graphic orientated. And I learned a lot ( a lot!!) from customers. Oh, I didn't see that. Oh, is it on the right side of the page? Oh, is it below the fold. etc etc. Journal was one of the themes that let me design the complete layout exactly as i wanted it, taking all customers complaints and remarks over the last years into consideration.

Post by Burt65 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:37 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:06 am
And community DOES help by giving everyone the best recommendation they can get: never install Journal and live happily ever after.
Not sure of which community you are referring to!?!

Beside yourself and a handful of other unhappy developers, I don't see anyone else making a fuss about it..
Perhaps you should tell this to the other 23489 Journal users...

It just doesn't make any sense.. But please guys, just continue with this (free advertisement) useless bashing. I can't say for sure, but Journal just sold another 512 copies for the month of December. I think you guys deserve a commission for that.. Normally companies pay fortunes for advertisement!
Helloooo? Is anyone home?? The more you keep bashing and mentioning it, the more the new users, will keep looking for it...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by thekrotek » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Burt65 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:37 pm
This one.
Burt65 wrote:
Beside yourself and a handful of other unhappy developers, I don't see anyone else making a fuss about it..
Quite the opposite: most developers today hate the stupid Journal and there're lots of reasons for it.
Burt65 wrote:
And I do, whenever I can.
Burt65 wrote:
Helloooo? Is anyone home?? The more you keep bashing and mentioning it, the more the new users, will keep looking for it...
Not exactly. This topic already exists, so it adds nothing to Journal advertising and actually does the opposite: informs store owners looking for a theme that they should never buy this crapware.

Expert Member

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 am

thekrotek wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:23 pm
Burt65 wrote:
This one.
Burt65 wrote:
Quite the opposite: most developers today hate the stupid Journal and there're lots of reasons for it.
Burt65 wrote:
And I do, whenever I can.
Burt65 wrote:
Not exactly. This topic already exists, so it adds nothing to Journal advertising and actually does the opposite: informs store owners looking for a theme that they should never buy this crapware.
You are right. You are the best, you understood exactly what I meant in my post, and Journal the Best Selling Theme of all times is crap. People that buy the Journal theme are very stupid, because they could instead buy another theme, that doesn't do what they need, but it keeps the few of you here happy, and that's what really matter. Your happiness, not the income from my business! :laugh:

You guys keep miserably failing to understand a very simple concept. The users that do come here are your potential customers. Not the other way around!!
I'm paying you to deliver a product I need, not to be preached about your feelings and lack of understanding about my needs! I'm paying you, to provide me with the tools I need for my business! Wake up!

I hope everyone will listen to your great wisdom and take advantage of your quality theme.
Oh, wait.. You never made a theme for OC.. :) I dare you and all the others, to make a better theme than Journal!! Lets put some action, where your mouth is..
I'm not talking about the 33 free modules you get with it, I'm talking about all the other features that the Journal theme does offers!

From my side, I can only hope, because if I had your knowledge, I would be doing something about, instead of procrastinate and hope that it will simply go away. Let see how long it will take you to make a better theme to fit our needs as a paying customer.. Do that, and I'll buy your theme in a second!!!

I'm gonna to be honest with you. I won't hold my breath..

Cheers

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by kestas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:47 am

Burt65 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 am
From my side, I can only hope, because if I had your knowledge, ...
Yes if you'll had that, you never buy such theme like journal 3... despite the fact that this theme looks impressive. Journal have a lot functions, which you'll never use.. and some of them are stolen, as other developers say...
Sorry, nothing personal....

Custom OpenCart modules and solutions. You can write PM with additional questions... Extensions you can find here

Post by Burt65 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:58 am

kestas wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:47 am
Burt65 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 am
From my side, I can only hope, because if I had your knowledge, ...
Yes if you'll had that, you never buy such theme like journal 3... despite the fact that this theme looks impressive. Journal have a lot functions, which you'll never use.. and some of them are stolen, as other developers say...
Sorry, nothing personal....
I'm glad we agree.. It is an impressive theme and it does have lots of functions..
Now please, do tell which of these functions are stolen and which one I'll never use!
No need to apologise.

Location - Oz

Post by kestas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 am

Burt65 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:58 am

Now please, do tell which of these functions are stolen and which one I'll never use!
No need to apologise.
Regarding stolen functions I have read somewhere on the net and now can't find where, if that is not truth, I'm very sorry...
viewtopic.php?t=214459
But regarding opinion, that journal are system in the system and break all OC system, that is truth. I think Journal devs can make his own platform without OC... So, for what reason to use free OC like a platform?

Post by victorj » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:49 am

Basically there are 2 type of coders.
those who tell you you have a crap site (journal theme)
and those who are willing, and have the capability to think in solutions and solve your problem.
ive met both
first group will never get a job.
second group will earn a good deal of money.

Its time for first mentioned group to change thinking and become commercial.

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by Burt65 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 am

kestas wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 am
Regarding stolen functions I have read somewhere on the net and now can't find where, if that is not truth, I'm very sorry...
viewtopic.php?t=214459
But regarding opinion, that journal are system in the system and break all OC system, that is truth. I think Journal devs can make his own platform without OC... So, for what reason to use free OC like a platform?
I keep repeating myself here, but perhaps I may need to be more specific.
Your statement above is completely wrong. I'm not saying that you are lying. I'm saying that thanks to threads like this one, you have been completely misinformed. There is no stolen code in the Journal theme, (perhaps stolen ideas but that's not illegal). The stolen reference was made based on the fact (and I believe it was also proven) that the Envato company does sell piece of software stolen/copied from developer working elsewhere like here on Opencart. It is a common problem and not just related to Envato, either way, not related to Journal.

Regarding Journal Breaking OC, again I can only presume that you, saying something like the two sentences above, have never used Journal, because the only problems that you may come across, and they are all easily fixable) are front end and/or cart checkout related. If you use Journal 2 or 3 and OC 2+ or 3+, everything works just fine. If you have extensions (like most of us do) only few will need minor adjustment and as myself and possibly another thousand users have already discovered here, if the extension doesn't work in Journal it probably has bug working in OC alone as well and therefore not worth using or spending money to get it fixed. Most developer here do normally advertise if their extension is compatible with Journal and if not, you do so at your own risk..
Not a big deal really..

But all the above, and this is the part I need you to pay attention too, has nothing to do with this thread. The main problem here, as I mention in my reply earlier, is that we keep (stupidly I may add) complaining while advertising freely Journal across the entire OC forum, because someone had a very bad idea of complaining about people asking for help regarding Journal installation over OC, like if we were forced to help!?! I found this attitude disturbing because it only created confusion (as proven by this thread) and it doesn't really help anyone. Telling people that you don't want to do something, that you were not supposed to do?? Really?

The Opencart community is here to possibly help anyone that do have problem with Opencart ONLY! We never supported or had the need to support Journal because it has its own support system. The developers here, also do offer both their own support, and support on the forum as per agreement. The complaint was possibly addressed more to people using pirate copy of such theme, but again, it makes no difference when the title of the subject is still the same..

The rest of this thread is a very confusing personal feeling of people life expectation (including mine), that again has no bearing what so ever with this community. I was hoping that the mistake would have been realised earlier and the responsible person would have deleted this entire pointless free advertisement thread or at least put the thread in the right section..
But, it seems I was wrong. Perhaps some developers here, are actually getting paid from Envato to make threads like this one and continually fuel the fire.. Not sure anymore..

I will not post in this thread any longer, as I don't want to be part of the problem. This is not either funny or constructive but only tiring and it is actually damaging the community in my opinion..

victorj wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:49 am
Basically there are 2 type of coders.
those who tell you you have a crap site (journal theme)
and those who are willing, and have the capability to think in solutions and solve your problem.
ive met both
first group will never get a job.
second group will earn a good deal of money.

Its time for first mentioned group to change thinking and become commercial.
Ain't it the truth.. Well said..

Cheers

Location - Oz