Post by Etheravion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:52 am

Hi all,

I'm using OpenCart 3.0.3.3. I'm trying to improve System -> Users -> User Groups permission view to display Access permission on the left and Modify permission to the right with increased height.

I'm doing this change with vqmod 2.6.4. First few changes, I can see it's reflected. But now, whatever I change, it just frozen at the last change, as if there's a persistent cache on that version. No matter what I change now, it just stays at that version. When I removed the vqmod change, it will revert to original. But when I made some other change, it just revert back to the "frozen" version. I've cleared my browser cache, click Refresh at modification, clear vqcache and check server hosting, there's no cache. Even when I do direct modification to core file, it doesn't change to the latest version.

Please advise where else I can look at for this strange scenario.

Post by Etheravion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:35 pm

I found out this a bug with Opencart. If you're making changes to ocmod / vqmod several times, after awhile it will no longer change anymore. I deleted the entire site and upload the latest ocmod / vqmod, then it changed.

Post by Cue4cheap » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:51 pm

Etheravion wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:35 pm
... I deleted the entire site and upload the latest ocmod / vqmod, then it changed.
What?!?

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Well, (old) Newbie :laugh: , OC-3 has NOT been designed, to work with OcMod and VqMod
combined, by default, so better don't talk about a Bug in OC, since you implanted the Bug
yourself, by doing such. :crazy:
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 pm
Well, (old) Newbie :laugh: , OC-3 has NOT been designed, to work with OcMod and VqMod
combined, by default, so better don't talk about a Bug in OC, since you implanted the Bug
yourself, by doing such. :crazy:
Ernie
Hi (old) Newbie, :D just so you know, even with ocmod only and fresh installation, it has this bug too. You can give it a try. Cheers.

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am

Even when I do direct modification to core file, it doesn't change to the latest version.
Then you either are browser caching or you have changes lingering in your theme editor.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 am

letxobnav wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am
Even when I do direct modification to core file, it doesn't change to the latest version.
Then you either are browser caching or you have changes lingering in your theme editor.
Initially I suspect it could be browser caching as well, but I've cleared the cache, even change to different browser. But still not working. So I've cleared all possible cache Opencart could have in Modifications etc. I even removed all extensions, cleared cache and reinstall extensions. But still the changes stuck at one specific change. I don't encounter this with Opencart 2.3.0.2.

Post by sw!tch » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 am

You sure you don't have any caching plugin enabled with your hosting? I would check PHP info and also your hosting control panel, some hosting providers pre-install cache plugins for Wordpress, etc.

How are you making edits to this file? FTP/IDE or the theme editor?

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am

you deleted the records in the theme editor, i.e. theme table? Those override all (core and mods).
you checked the modification log to see if all mods were actually applied correctly?
modifications are applied in order to the same scratchpad files, subsequent modifications may clash with previous ones.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:49 pm

sw!tch wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 am
You sure you don't have any caching plugin enabled with your hosting? I would check PHP info and also your hosting control panel, some hosting providers pre-install cache plugins for Wordpress, etc.

How are you making edits to this file? FTP/IDE or the theme editor?
Please advice what value should I look for in PHP info to check for caching at hosting? I've checked with hosting provider engineer and they say don't have. I've also tried with my own local pc at localhost, same thing happened.

I'm making edits by extracting the ocmod zip file, make code changes, zip back and upload via installer.

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:54 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am
you deleted the records in the theme editor, i.e. theme table? Those override all (core and mods).
you checked the modification log to see if all mods were actually applied correctly?
modifications are applied in order to the same scratchpad files, subsequent modifications may clash with previous ones.
In order to rule out complications from theme and other extensions, I didn't install any except one extension. Start from fresh Opencart 3, install one ocmod and tried to test it out. I even tested other ocmod, just simply change some wording and test whether the changes are reflected, but it doesn't. Every time I upload via installer, I'll check it is installed correctly and click refresh at Modifications. Only when I deleted everything and start from fresh again, upload via installer, then the change are reflected.

Nobody else encounter this?

Guru Member

Post by sw!tch » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Etheravion wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm making edits by extracting the ocmod zip file, make code changes, zip back and upload via installer.
Sounds like you are not packing the ocmod archive correctly. You are refreshing the modification cache, right?

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:12 pm

sw!tch wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm
Etheravion wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:49 pm
Sounds like you are not packing the ocmod archive correctly. You are refreshing the modification cache, right?
If I didn’t pack the ocmod archive correctly, then why did it work when I deleted the entire site, setup again and reinstall the ocmod?

Yes, refreshed modification cache.

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Every time I upload via installer, I'll check it is installed correctly and click refresh at Modifications
That is not what I asked, I asked you check the modification log after refresh.
Only when I deleted everything and start from fresh again, upload via installer, then the change are reflected.
What is everything?
What is start from fresh?
Installer of what, the mods or the entire OC site?

You also did not confirm if you emptied the theme table.

We can only go by what we know of OC and what you describe as to what is happening and what you did or are doing.
Your descriptions remain too vague which means we have to speculate and I have no time for that.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 pm

That is not what I asked, I asked you check the modification log after refresh.
Ok, I didn't get it initially because you sound vague. I've checked the log after refresh and there's no error.
What is everything?
What is start from fresh?
Installer of what, the mods or the entire OC site?
Everything and start from fresh means deleted all OC files, extensions files and database. Reupload OC files, recreate database and reinstall OC. Then reinstall extension via extension installer.
You also did not confirm if you emptied the theme table.
This sounds vague. What theme table are you referring to? There's no theme installed at all. Just a vanilla OC and 1 ocmod. That's all. Hope this is clear now.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 pm

a vanilla OC ??

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Etheravion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 pm
a vanilla OC ??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software
"Computer software, and sometimes also other computing-related systems like computer hardware or algorithms, are called vanilla when not customized from their original form, meaning that they are used without any customizations or updates applied to them."

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:13 am

What theme table are you referring to?
The OpenCart DB table 'oc_theme'.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Etheravion » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:16 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:13 am
What theme table are you referring to?
The OpenCart DB table 'oc_theme'.
Thanks. I just checked, there's no data in it. So there's nothing for me to clear there.