Post by RicardoMoutinho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:16 am

Hails my friends,

I don't know if this is just a rant, a disapointment or simply a "get out of my chest" situation....but tell me what is wrong with 2021....

I own a Opencart Shop 3.0.2 and i instaled a well known and "hated" theme wich i must say...its just gorgeous, but anyway....

On my website there is only 2 extensions : SEO pro and Discounts based Manufacturers. Great awesome support by both devs. All is doing pretty good. Im very happy.

Then i needed a 3th extension and contacted the developer well known here. I asked him about conflits between modules, etc...etc...AND i asked him about the theme.

"No worries, it works perfect with the theme."

Awesome. I bought it....

After 1 hour instaling it because the documentation is wrongly done, i manage to make it work 80% when i noticed the very top menu.

It simply messed it completly by adding the extension 3 links.

No worries...i just contact the dev and fix it.

Nope....it asks money to fix it because its a "custom work"....

Er.....let me get this shit straight....you sell an extension for my opencart version, compatible with my theme...and when YOUR extension messes my entire menu...i need to pay for costum fix???

Is this how devs work in 2021? Really? This feels just like a ripoff....its just insane.

I dont give any names or whatever because im waiting for them to reply to me, but, in the end i will post who they are, and you know them well.

Whats your opinion on this?

Post by johnp » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:13 am

My crystal ball senses a Journal discussion coming on. :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:15 am

johnp wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:13 am
My crystal ball senses a Journal discussion coming on. :)
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not in my end, i only needed them 1 time and excelent support, other than that works like a charm with SEO and Discounts extensions... Yep, Journal3....HOW DO YOU GUESSED?

In this case is a well known Opencart extensions Developer.....in my opinion, even worse.

This post is not about Journal Theme, support, mistakes, bla bla bla....

Its about what developers do in 2021 to rip you off....because its what i think they are doing.

If i didnt asked anything....well....shit happens, it shouldnt because if i buy something for 3.0.2 it should work flawless on the 3.0.2 version....but ok....

The new mentality of doing an extension wich WILL screw your theme ( even when they say it is no problem, works great with your theme) but then ask money to fix it....its abuse.

Post by johnp » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 am

Was I correct? Blimey, what a good guess. Lol. Personally I would go back to the extension developer for a fix. You pay your money in good faith so you expect your purchase to work. Especially if it's stated it works with Journal. If you continue to get no joy with the developer. I suggest you fnd the extension listing in the marketplace, screenshot it and contact the Opencart marketplace admin and prove your case. I would also screenshot any erors or error log entries relating to the extension to add more weight to your case. A good extension developer will recognise the problem and correct the code with no arguement.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:29 pm

Most extensions are developed for the OpenCart framework, not for the Journal3 framework. Journal3 is not OpenCart, so this is not the right support forum for this.

However, if a 3rd party extension author specifically states that his extension also works for the Journal3 framework, when in fact it doesn't, and this extension author refuses to fix his bug, then you should open a support ticket with Opencart and ask them to refund your money.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:29 pm
Most extensions are developed for the OpenCart framework, not for the Journal3 framework. Journal3 is not OpenCart, so this is not the right support forum for this.
Here we go agian.....the issue is not JOURNAL...forget Jourrnal.....i have NEWSPAPER THEME

For God sake, im asking about extensions, not theme....

What i posted is just an example....it can happen alot

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 pm

But you won't accept the advice given here: If the extension author promised you that his extension would work with whatever commercial theme you use, and it doesn't, then the author either has to fix it, or you ask for a refund.

Unless specifically stated by a 3rd party extension developer that his extension would work with a certain theme, you have to assume that it is an OpenCart extension only. The OpenCart marketplace, though not perfect, is for OpenCart extensions, simple as that!

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:50 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 pm
But you won't accept the advice given here: If the extension author promised you that his extension would work with whatever commercial theme you use, and it doesn't, then the author either has to fix it, or you ask for a refund.
I do accept, its only that i keep hearing about Journal or not.... I do have more webshops and it happens no matter the them. And i complaining because im 100% sure there were allready people paying for fixes, they shouldnt pay....like this guy asking money to fix what his extension did. Absurd.

Unless specifically stated by a 3rd party extension developer that his extension would work with a certain theme, you have to assume that it is an OpenCart extension only. The OpenCart marketplace, though not perfect, is for OpenCart extensions, simple as that!
Agreed, 100%, but im betting 50% of the extensions dont work like "plug-and-play"

I rather believe is a raising phenomenon....charge to fix.

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 am

That's why we keep advising customers to stay away from poor quality extensions. Many of them don't abide by the OpenCart standards, and use poor-quality VQmod or OCmod XML modification scripts which tend to cause clashes between different 3rd party extensions. A good quality extension shouldn't use VQmod/OCmod for modifying core files, it shouldn't have the need for modifying core file, and if it has then event handlers are a better way to accomplish it.

Guru Member

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 am
That's why we keep advising customers to stay away from poor quality extensions. Many of them don't abide by the OpenCart standards, and use poor-quality VQmod or OCmod XML modification scripts which tend to cause clashes between different 3rd party extensions. A good quality extension shouldn't use VQmod/OCmod for modifying core files, it shouldn't have the need for modifying core file, and if it has then event handlers are a better way to accomplish it.
Couldnt agree more, i dont like Vqmod/Ocmod, but i guess makes the "extensions" more cheaper...and i do belive most people including devs dont really know what events are (like me, no clue), not sure though.

I had (on my old opencart website) a couple of extensions, and after i checked them, 1 by 1 for almost a year, we did coded them "outside" Ocmod. That site is using 3.0.2 with a Themeforest theme by a well known Opencart dev.

In the end, everything is working good with that webshop. That kinda of service i agree in paying...its worth it.

I think, my opinion, opencart marketplace should "clean" a bit the market. There are really garbage extensions.

Post by johnp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:21 am

ForgedGround wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 am
I think, my opinion, opencart marketplace should "clean" a bit the market. There are really garbage extensions.
I agree with you there. :)

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:32 pm

So same shit, diferent day....

After spending 3 days trying to get the webshop fixed, and after it gives a 500 error and then a fatal error...i had no option than reset the webshop for 3 days before....and i asked for a refund....im tired of it.

Denied...."you allready have the extension, so no refund posible" WTF?????

Clearly i opened a ticket in opencart support.

Now....what i noticed is the trend of asking FTPs and credentials....what is going on with this?

You can say "its faster to fix the errors..." it is not. Its a way to copy your stuff. Thats why i never give my FTP.

I only have 2 extensions, cause i really want to keep the shop simple. Both got errors, contacted the support, i didnt gave FTP, they fix the extensions in less than 1 minute.

How did i learned this?

Last time i handle FTP to a developer, my server tracked the diferent files uploaded. They were diferent, including missing 1 of them. Its a play? I really think so.

If i buy extension for 3.0.2 it should work without the need of FTP to fix it, it goes for all versions.

What do you guys think? Should we keep giving away FTP credentials or report to opencart?

Post by johnp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm

Giving FTP details is a big no no for me unless I know and trust the developer.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:05 pm

You are not telling us the whole story here. Why did you spend 3 days to fix a broken extension from a developer who clearly promised you it would work with your given web theme, and then it didn't? Ask OpenCart, or PayPal, for a refund!

Guru Member

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:18 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:05 pm
You are not telling us the whole story here. Why did you spend 3 days to fix a broken extension from a developer who clearly promised you it would work with your given web theme, and then it didn't?
Because he wanted more money and i didnt wanna pay. Clear enough?

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:32 pm

ForgedGround wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 pm
.....i have NEWSPAPER THEME
Never saw Newspaper for Opencart :)
I know they have only for Wordpress.

You can tell us the name of extension/url.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:53 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:32 pm
ForgedGround wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 pm
.....i have NEWSPAPER THEME
Never saw Newspaper for Opencart :)
I know they have only for Wordpress.

You can tell us the name of extension/url.
LOL......its a costum made THEME.....just for me.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got a refund, even that those idiots were against it...

WEBKUL are the devs or whatever you wanna name them for developing a shitty extension, fucked up my site and in the end wanted money to fix it....

I will NOT trust WEBKUL again, i can assure you

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 pm

LOL......its a costum made THEME.....just for me...
That's not what you said in your original post:
I own a Opencart Shop 3.0.2 and i instaled a well known and "hated" theme wich i must say...its just gorgeous, but anyway....

Guru Member

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:16 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 pm
Journal3 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
viewtopic.php?f=202&t=222940&p=818201#p818201

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by RicardoMoutinho » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:39 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 pm
LOL......its a costum made THEME.....just for me...
Lol, it was a joke man, ofcourse its Journal, but people keep always talking about the theme when the issue was an extension....