Post by sbisel » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am

I am getting somewhat frustrated with OpenCart ...

My first impression is this is a nice clean looking eCommerce solution. I like the ability to update categories and products and hosting the solution on my existing hosting service would save me some money.

Here are some things that I find annoying:
  • If you want to really customize the products with extra tabs, placing product documentation for visitor downloads ... that's an extension.
  • If you want to customize the theme ... that's an extension.
  • If you want to create a static page with a menu link in the top menu ... that's an extension
  • If you want to create payment options that are functional ... that's an extension
  • If you want to create shipping options that are functional ... that's an extension.
Some of those extension one has to shell out money for. Some are free. From what I am seeing though, you get what you pay for.

The installation of version 3.0.3.7 is not bug free. For example, if I change the default time zone from UTC, then that locks out the admin user from being able to sign in.

In my case, although the documentation for OC version 3.0.3.7 says PHP 7.3 or higher. It does not work with PHP 7.3. I had to upgrade to PHP 7.4.

There are many cases where the OC application itself or the extensions I have purchased are not all that functional. I question the due diligence of the software programmers.

I am really close to giving up on all this and going to Wix. So far, what I am finding on Wix is a bit less flexibility but things work over there. I don't see a lot of additional cost add-ons (extensions) that you have to purchase to make thing work.

I am just venting here as I have been really disappointed with the practical deployment of OC. I know there are many successful installs, but this experience is really getting me down.

Steve

Post by OSWorX » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Hello Steve,

sorry to read such.
While I can understand your frustration, OpenCart has basically all a Ecommerce and Webshop site must have.
When it comes to individialsm, custom design and so on, as you said: there are extensions.

And that makes OpenCart very flexible.
On one side you have a fast, small and stable core.
Additionally you will find for nearly everything an Extension - confirmed that some of them never should be published because of their poor qualitity (if bought over the OpenCart Marketplace, use the Marketplace Support and report them)!

3.0.3.7 - because you installed that version - is not "bugfree".
Specially that timezone thing is one of the nasty bugs in there.

But as it always should be practice for OpenSource projects: read everything BEFORE you start - that's an important task I have learned the last 25 years.
Doing so, it will prevent you from frustration.

Finally it is up to you which system you want to use in future, but believe me: with OpenCart is nearly everything possible - you only have to know how ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:19 pm

sbisel wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am
I am just venting here as I have been really disappointed with the practical deployment of OC. I know there are many successful installs, but this experience is really getting me down.
If you're not a developer you might do well to find a freelancer or company that can help you. Of course there are costs involved to that, but whoever said that building a decent online shop would be free?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by OSWorX » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:19 pm
sbisel wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am
If you're not a developer you might do well to find a freelancer or company that can help you. Of course there are costs involved to that, but whoever said that building a decent online shop would be free?
One opinion .. but where the hell is it written, that building a Webshop with OpenCart a Developer is needed?
Shouldn't it be, that even a noob should create one without having deeper knowledge and must be a "coder"?

The more, we all (noobs , devs and so on) can expect that publishing a version should be a "stable" and most "error free" version!
And not getting a version like the last 3.0.3.7 with such nasty bugs in it (see e.g. wrong version number, timezone, etc.).

I know that you earn most of your money from all those frustrated people .. but that should not be the target.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:54 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 pm
One opinion .. but where the hell is it written, that building a Webshop with OpenCart a Developer is needed?
In the sentiment "I want a free and open source solution and I want to customise it to my bespoke needs".

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom