Post by peterh » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:13 pm

It's not visible any evolution in Opencart and the posts at OpenCart Forums are mostly help and support requests.
Has Opencart development stopped ? Is there a Roadmap ?
Roadmap should be an obvious and very visible information and I may have missed it, is it anywhere else ?
I'm using 3.0.3.6 but saw that Softaculus p.ex. already has a 3.0.3.7 version available.
Is there a 3.1 or 3.2 or 4 version planned ? what changes should we expect ?
Thanks.

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 pm

There is a version 4 in the making, see https://github.com/opencart/opencart , which will have a significantly revised framework. As regards the 3.x branch, the current release is 3.0.3.7, but you can expect a 3.0.3.8 in the not too distant future with more bugfixes, and keeping compatibility with the 3.0.x series of OpenCart.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by peterh » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Shouldn't there be a page at Opencart Blog explaining the business features for the new versions, and their expected release dates ?
Regarding the current version 3 shouldn't also be a page explaining what bugs and business functions get updated, corrected, along with the release number and expected release date ?

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:02 am

peterh wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:27 pm
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Shouldn't there be a page at Opencart Blog explaining the business features for the new versions, and their expected release dates ?
Regarding the current version 3 shouldn't also be a page explaining what bugs and business functions get updated, corrected, along with the release number and expected release date ?
You won't find any of that with OpenCart. It's basically one person do everything (with occasional help). Versions get released as and when, usually when there is some agreement with an service provider.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by peterh » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 am

As far as releases goes, that's not a problem.
When they are ready they came out, ok, no problem, the roadmap business functionalities, would be good.

What is a problem is if development it's dependent on a single person.
One person guiding development is not a problem, only one person coding and maintaining is the heck of a dependency.
There should be at least two or better three core coders.

Post by straightlight » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:42 am

peterh wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 am
As far as releases goes, that's not a problem.
When they are ready they came out, ok, no problem, the roadmap business functionalities, would be good.

What is a problem is if development it's dependent on a single person.
One person guiding development is not a problem, only one person coding and maintaining is the heck of a dependency.
There should be at least two or better three core coders.
That suggestion has been brought to the Founder in the past. Unfortunately, there are no planned development being considered on that side.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by ilclark » Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm

Can someone please explain why Version 4 even exists?? Opencart is only at 3.0.3.x at present, not even up to it's first Minor release, yet a new Major release is being developed.

I'm new to Opencart, where obviously I went to the homepage and downloaded the "latest" version, at the time it was 3.0.3.2. Being new I never realised that Opencart was more than that, and that there are still 1.5 and 2.x versions with large loyal user bases and seemingly with 2.x, a current and up to date offering.

I've just come from a cart that still has issues years later with a major release causing uncertainty/unrest amongst it's userbase of whether or not to migrate to the new branch or staying put on software that was stable / current & functioning, obviously the push from the developers was to migrate to reduce the need to support "older" versions of the software.

Certainly a roadmap showing not only the direction of the software with functionality & enhancements, as well as bug fixes, etc would be essential in this day and age to entice new users, but also to keep current users updated and confident they are using the right software now and into the future.

Cheers,
Iain

OpenCart 3.0.3.2

Post by ADD Creative » Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm

ilclark wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm
I've just come from a cart that still has issues years later with a major release causing uncertainty/unrest amongst it's userbase of whether or not to migrate to the new branch or staying put on software that was stable / current & functioning, obviously the push from the developers was to migrate to reduce the need to support "older" versions of the software.
That pretty much applies to OpenCart as well. I have reported issues, some over 2 years ago, that affect operation and privacy which are still unfixed and don't even look like being fixed in version 4.

Sadly, I think OpenCart is always going to be like that. It's basically developed by one person. They tend to focus on new features and not so much on testing and stability. They don't tend to release bug fixed version unless it happens to coincide with some agreement they need to do a release for.

The maintenance releases tend to be left to third-parties, who either give up due to the amount of work required or make matters worse.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 pm

ilclark wrote:
Can someone please explain why Version 4 even exists?? Opencart is only at 3.0.3.x at present, not even up to it's first Minor release, yet a new Major release is being developed.

I'm new to Opencart, where obviously I went to the homepage and downloaded the "latest" version, at the time it was 3.0.3.2. Being new I never realised that Opencart was more than that, and that there are still 1.5 and 2.x versions with large loyal user bases and seemingly with 2.x, a current and up to date offering.

Certainly a roadmap showing not only the direction of the software with functionality & enhancements, as well as bug fixes, etc would be essential in this day and age to entice new users, but also to keep current users updated and confident they are using the right software now and into the future.
Master Branch's Commit changes: https://www.github.com/opencart/opencart/commits
Maintenance Branch's Commit changes: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... aintenance .

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by ilclark » Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 am

Sorry, I'm not being funny or belittling the amount of work involved in developing software, but really, github? Maybe for techies/programmers, which I was 10+ years ago, so even for me it tells me nothing really other than there is a fair amount of work happening.

This won't ever indicate what's happening to the software from a non-technical standpoint.

Surely something this big deserves better?

Cheers,
Iain

OpenCart 3.0.3.2

Post by straightlight » Wed May 05, 2021 7:54 am

ilclark wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 am
Sorry, I'm not being funny or belittling the amount of work involved in developing software, but really, github? Maybe for techies/programmers, which I was 10+ years ago, so even for me it tells me nothing really other than there is a fair amount of work happening.

This won't ever indicate what's happening to the software from a non-technical standpoint.

This is the central point where current developers are showing as part of the closest ways to present the workflow since, while Opencart is free of use, it's also fundamentally about coding. Suggestions were posted from forum users before regarding flowcharts for the master branch but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon sadly.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by dbdropper » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi everyone,
peterh wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:13 pm
Is there a 3.1 or 3.2 or 4 version planned ? what changes should we expect ?
I discovered https://github.com/opencart/opencart/projects/5 earlier today. Good to know a built-in one page checkout is to be expected, and even it says "true" in there, in a way confirming that it's obvious to everyone the previous 3rd party solutions were subpar. Gives me a glimpse of hope.
ilclark wrote:
Could be because of (potentially breaking?) changes in the architecture?
ilclark wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 am

Curious to know what tool do you consider better? A public Trello board? Or something completely visual?

I searched for "prestashop roadmap" and the first result is a board also on Github that is similar (although more lively) to the "OpenCart 4.0.0.0" board I shared above.