Post by talentive » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi,

Someone I know wants to upgrade their website made in Opencart 2.2 to a newer version. They have many code edits and customizations. Which version of opencart would be best to upgrade to? The suggested version might support a variety of extensions. And what would be best way to move website to newer version of Opencart?

Please suggest.

Post by johnp » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 pm

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by talentive » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:13 am

Why not Open cart 3.0 or 3.2

Post by johnp » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:14 pm

talentive wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:13 am
Why not Open cart 3.0 or 3.2
I'm not a fan of Twig plus I just generally find it easier to work with. Again, it's just my personal preference.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by Johnathan » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:32 pm

OpenCart 4.0 is not yet ready for live stores --- the latest version (4.0.1.1) still has some bugs to fix. Additionally, the extension system has been changed, so all extensions have to be modified to work with 4.0. This means that there aren't as many for 4.0 as other versions yet.

I would recommend either the versions johnp recommended, or the latest 3.0 version ( 3.0.3.8 ). If you need PHP 8 support, then there are 3.0.3.8 versions being worked on for that, so it's probably the one you want to choose. Otherwise, there aren't a lot of benefits to 3.0.3.8 over 2.3.0.2, so it's more your preference.

However, I typically don't recommend upgrading unless you have a very important reason to. If you aren't experiencing problems with the site, and it's functional currently, then upgrading will probably cause you more problems than it would solve. Re-installing extensions and redoing modifications can take a lot of time, or if you're hiring someone to do it, cost quite a bit. You should make sure you actually *need* to upgrade before attempting it.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 am

Go for OCt 3.0.3.8, or, if you need support for PHP 8.0 or 8.1, you could use the OC 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release. Do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, the latter usually fails.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:06 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 am
Go for OCt 3.0.3.8, or, if you need support for PHP 8.0 or 8.1, you could use the OC 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release. Do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, the latter usually fails.
Isn't this version better: https://github.com/opencart/opencart-3
At least as I see it, the original is NOT fill compatible with php 8.x (8.1.x).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:43 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:06 pm
JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 am
Isn't this version better: https://github.com/opencart/opencart-3
At least as I see it, the original is NOT fill compatible with php 8.x (8.1.x).
Well, opencart-3 is more like a future 3.1.0.0 release which is still under development by straightlight. But yes, it supports PHP 8, too. The 3.0.x.x_Maintenance is basically like 3.0.3.8, but has bugfixes and support for PHP 8, and is more likely to support existing OC 3 extensions.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:19 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:43 pm
Well, opencart-3 is more like a future 3.1.0.0 release which is still under development by straightlight. But yes, it supports PHP 8, too. The 3.0.x.x_Maintenance is basically like 3.0.3.8, but has bugfixes and support for PHP 8, and is more likely to support existing OC 3 extensions.
Ah and thanks for clarification.
But as far as I can see, straightlight is not the maintainer (or he has changed his or using there another name O0 )

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:11 pm

I am pretty certain TheCartpenter on github is the same one posting as straightlight here on this forum.

TheCartpenter literally posted hundreds over hundreds of little pull requests on github, many of them weren't bugfixes as such, but more along the lines of beautifying the code, or adding PHP 8 style type specifiers and/or hints. Hence Daniel made him the maintainer of the opencart-3 repository. I have been focusing on the 3.0.x.x_Maintenance branch which is more similar to OC 3.0.3.8, with added bugfixes and PHP 8 compatibility.

The main effort by Daniel himself is focused on the development of OpenCart 4 as you know. But it will take time to get OC 4 into a stable enough release for live websites, and of course it will take some time for 3rd party developers to port their extensions to OpenCart 4. In the meantime, the current stable versions are 3.0.x.x_Maintenance (think of it as 3.0.3.8 with bugfixes and PHP 8 support), or the code from the opencart-3 repository (think of it as an upcoming 3.1.0.0 release, for PHP 8 ) .

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:08 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:11 pm
I am pretty certain TheCartpenter on github is the same one posting as straightlight here on this forum.
I love it when the same user use different names on each platform - could someone explain me such stupid behaviour?

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:11 pm
TheCartpenter literally posted hundreds over hundreds of little pull requests on github, many of them weren't bugfixes as such, but more along the lines of beautifying the code, or adding PHP 8 style type specifiers and/or hints. Hence Daniel made him the maintainer of the opencart-3 repository. I have been focusing on the 3.0.x.x_Maintenance branch which is more similar to OC 3.0.3.8, with added bugfixes and PHP 8 compatibility.

The main effort by Daniel himself is focused on the development of OpenCart 4 as you know. But it will take time to get OC 4 into a stable enough release for live websites, and of course it will take some time for 3rd party developers to port their extensions to OpenCart 4. In the meantime, the current stable versions are 3.0.x.x_Maintenance (think of it as 3.0.3.8 with bugfixes and PHP 8 support), or the code from the opencart-3 repository (think of it as an upcoming 3.1.0.0 release, for PHP 8 ) .

People (to be honest, me too) get confused slowly (or faster) with all those versions and different repos somewhere!
And then a release 3.x.x.x on the 4th of October 2022.
While I understand why it was published, but honestly: does that not lead to many misunderstandings?

When OC 3.x was published the first time, all of us thought it will be an intermediate release.
As a "preperation" to the 4.x branch.
But 3.x lived more than 4 years!
3.1.x was a complete desaster.
4.x is still not better.

As it seems, there is no line, no guideline what's next.
Beside the fact, that since many years no timelines are published, nor which versions will be maintained and how long, and which not.
One word: frustrating!

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:59 pm

The bottom line is this:

The opencart-3 repository (OC 3.1.x.x releases) is not yet completed, but when it is, it will be short lived, because by then there will be a stable version of the new OpenCart 4 series. Hence it probably won't be worth the time to port extensions to 3.1.x.x, and then again to 4.x.x.x.

IMHO it makes more sense to continue with 3.0.3.8, and if you need to run it on PHP 8, use the 3.0.x.x_Maintenance branch. That will give you enough breathing space to focus on the upcoming OpenCart 4 series, porting your extensions at your own pace over to OpenCart 4.

Guru Member