Post by Joe1234 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:14 pm

So I've been tasked to make a business site...none ecommerce...for the wife. I'm looking for something that is easily customizable, I don't mean with automatic blocks, but rather I can get into the guts and do some html/php/javascript work IF NEEDED.

I downloaded and kicked around the wordpress admin for about 15 minutes, really not that long, and it seems complicated and dedicated to what is inbuilt and plugins, and getting things placed exactly where and how I wanted on the front end seemed bothersome to me...too much automation trying to be intuitive.

My question is, is wordpress easy to work with? Is there something better?

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.

Post by johnp » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Joe1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:14 pm
So I've been tasked to make a business site...none ecommerce...for the wife. I'm looking for something that is easily customizable, I don't mean with automatic blocks, but rather I can get into the guts and do some html/php/javascript work IF NEEDED.

I downloaded and kicked around the wordpress admin for about 15 minutes, really not that long, and it seems complicated and dedicated to what is inbuilt and plugins, and getting things placed exactly where and how I wanted on the front end seemed bothersome to me...too much automation trying to be intuitive.

My question is, is wordpress easy to work with? Is there something better?
I've worked on WP and Woocommerce a few times for clients. IMO WP is great as a blog and that's it. If you're looking to mainly sell items with a few info pages then stick with Opencart. I think WP is used a lot as it's easily installed through the softaculous installer by people with little or no experience and gives them a way of getting online easily. Ultimately even with the Woocommerce plugin it's bound by its blog framework. It also requires a decent theme and usually several plugins to make it half decent. I find it's like walking through treacle working on it. For ecommerce I suggest sticking with an ecommerce platform like OC. Other opinions are available but that's mine. :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by johnp » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:27 pm

PS. If you just want a straightforward site setup up that you can manage with little or no experience you can do a lot worse that use Sitemagic CMS. The self hosted version is brilliant IMO.

https://sitemagic.org

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:24 pm

This is an OpenCart forum! Use the Wordpress forum for wordpress related questions.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Joe1234 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:14 am

I narrowed it downs between wordpress and joomla, but I'll take a look at sitemagic as well. There wont be any selling on this site, strictly a company face with information and faq. Thanks for the feedback.

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.