Post by ssaran » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:39 pm

Greetings.

Our company has decided to move the existing e-commerce system to the opencart infrastructure.

This is a used clothing ecommerce site.

There are so many versions, so many themes. And we were undecided about what to do.

We have the ability to manage our own linux servers and write our own php scripts

However, we do not have any opencart experience.

I simply want a theme using latest version opencart and bootstrap 5.

I wonder if I want something very wrong, almost every company I try to get technical support from directs me to opencart 3.x and Journal 3 theme.

As far as I can see, Journal 3 is a heavily modified bootstrap theme. I'm sure it's highly modular, but in my experience that much modularity is often a problem.

Now I'm asking members who are experienced in opencart business. With 20,000 and an increasing number of items in it. What would you recommend to a project that wants to switch to mobile application as soon as possible and is considering stock management with API?

Also, is there any way to setup Opencart with php composer ?

My Humble Regards.

Post by OSWorX » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:28 pm

ssaran wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:39 pm
Greetings.
Hello and welcome.
ssaran wrote:
Our company has decided to move the existing e-commerce system to the opencart infrastructure.
A good decision.
ssaran wrote:
I wonder if I want something very wrong, almost every company I try to get technical support from directs me to opencart 3.x and Journal 3 theme.

As far as I can see, Journal 3 is a heavily modified bootstrap theme. I'm sure it's highly modular, but in my experience that much modularity is often a problem.
Regarding Journal: from a developers view, the most terrible Theme you can get!
Why?
You said it already, heavily modified, not following any of the OpenCart structure, overriding almost all.

While - and that is maybe the success of that lousy Theme - enduser love it, because of the "simplicity" and "possibilities".

Generel: I do not recommend to use it.

About the other questions, other users here may answer ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:55 am

Agree with OSWorx: The Journal3 framework is of poor quality, breaks OpenCart standards, and clashes with many 3rd party extensions. See e.g. this forum post.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member